This weekend, it’s time to break the silence, as Cornwall gets loud and goes purple for victims of child abuse. A fury of Taekwondo chops will be taking action for the Big Brothers & Big Sisters of Cornwall and District. Legs will be pumping during a run for diabetes. Plus, 22 artists and craftspeople are opening their studios and homes in the Seaway Valley for the Apples and Art Tour.
© Adam Brazeau
Don't miss the SDG Taekwondo "Kick-a-Thon" for Big Brothers and Big Sisters Cornwall and District this Saturday.
Here's What's Happening:
Run or walk at the Cash Store Financial Freedom Run for Diabetes Research in support of the Canadian Diabetes Association. The event takes place on Saturday at Gray's Creek Conservation Area - from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. You can still register on the day event. For more information, visit www.thefreedomrun.ca.
The SDG Taekwondo "Kick-a-Thon" for Big Brothers and Big Sisters is taking place this Saturday at 251 Pitt Street (upstairs from Alpin’s Interiors). For more information, call Brent at (613) 362-9445 or (613) 935-3505 or e-mail email@example.com.
An Apples and Art Tour message from TAG Cornwall: For two days each autumn, area studios and artists welcome the public to view artwork, watch demonstrations and share in the inspiration. Participating artists and studios represent a wide variety of media; glass, wood, textiles, ceramics, jewelry, painting, photography and sculpture. The tour is self-drive and free of charge for visitors.
- Elsie Gallinger Studio (11869 Lakeshore Drive, Morrisburg)
- Beyond Clarity Photography & Beading By Barb (Lost Villages Museum, South Stormont)
- Micheline Tanguay Creation (900 Riverdale Avenue, Cornwall)
- Moneek Miller - The Art Gallery (TAG) Cornwall (168 Pitt Street)
- Ana de Wilson - The Art Gallery (TAG) Cornwall (168 Pitt Street)
- Johanne Pidgeon - The Art Gallery (TAG) Cornwall (168 Pitt Street)
- Tracy-Lynn - OBO Studios (44 Pitt Street, Cornwall)
- Emily MacLeod - OBO Studios (44 Pitt Street, Cornwall)
- Margo Boucher - OBO Studios (44 Pitt Street, Cornwall)
- Anne Wylemans - OBO Studios (44 Pitt Street, Cornwall)
- Hye Kyung Yu - OBO Studios (44 Pitt Street, Cornwall)
- Misun Kim-Hunter - OBO Studios (44 Pitt Street, Cornwall)
- Michelle C. Fecit - OBO Studios (44 Pitt Street, Cornwall)
- Givogue Studio (62 Leonia Street, Cornwall)
- Bluefront Studio (64 Leonia Street, Cornwall)
- Rose Desnoyers (18245 Tyotown Road, South Glengarry)
- Elegance in Wood (Marlin Orchard, South Glengarry)
- Old Grey Mare’s Studio (19013 Hwy 2, Summerstown)
- Virginia Lake (6756 Pilon Point Road, Summerstown)
The Children’s Aid Society is launching their Purple Ribbon Campaign at Lamoureux Park this Saturday. There are plenty activities for the entire family.
FREE ACTIVITY/ENTERTAINMENT SCHEDULE:
- Opening ceremonies: 11am to 11:30am. Come hear guest speakers talk about the importance of child abuse prevention and hear first-hand success stories from our community youth in care. Come to hear the surprise special guest speaker! Help CAS launch this campaign with a ceremonious ribbon cutting ritual.
- FREE Benson’s BBQ: 11:30am to 2pm. Enjoy scrumptious hamburgers and hotdogs. Comes with a drink and bag of chips.
- Bandshell Entertainment: 11:30am to 3pm
Zumba with Catherine – 11:45am to 12:15pm
Rhythm Room Drum workshop – 12:30pm to 1pm
Video Dance Party by DJ Majic – 1:15pm to 2:10pm
*Signature Record Breaking Event* – pop a paper bag to Break the Silence on child abuse. More than 434 people needed to break last year’s record!
All participants will receive a ballot to win two tickets to P!NK’s “The Truth About Love” concert in Montreal. Must be present at the closing ceremonies to win!
- Activities in the park – 11 – 3pm. All FREE
- Yves Houle Carnival inflatable jump houses for all ages,
- Mobile Gamerz,
- Milk a cow with the Ontario’s Dairy Association,
- Face painting,
- SD&G Highlander’s obstacle course,
- Family Photo corner with Cloud Nine Inspirations
- Tiny-tots activity corner compliments of Partir d’un bon pas,
- Home Depot kid’s workshop and coloring corner,
- Nail painting and tattoos corner,
- Helium balloons for all kids,
- Corus Entertainment live on location,
- Dunk Tank Fundraiser – 11:30am – 3pm.
- Help dunk some important people in our community in the name of raising money for our most vulnerable community kids/youth in order to send them to summer camp.
- Dunk: CAS Executive Director, Rachel Daigneault, CAS service manager Angela Arcuri, CAS worker deputy mayor Maurice Dupelle, Cornwall Community police officer, OPP officer, RCMP officer, Storm realtor Brock Frost and college student, Peter Hossak.
Closing Ceremonies – 2:45pm to 3pm. Announcement of P!NK concert prize winner, finale number count for the Break the Silence Record breaking event and wrap up.