By Adam Brazeau
CORNWALL, Ontario – A new haircut, is like a fresh start.
© Adam Brazeau
Goodwill Chopping: 'Cut Free Tuesdays' will give residents down on their luck, a haircut, for a non-perishable food donation for the Agape Centre. Pictured (left): Shorteez Urban Hair Shop stylist, TJ Muniz, and Rony Major, Shorteez Urban Hair Shop owner and stylist.
Rony Major, Shorteez Urban Hair Shop owner and stylist, understands that for many, a little off the top, isn't always in the budget.
Shorteez Urban Hair Shop will be offering free haircuts on Tuesdays, starting Oct. 15, in exchange for a non-perishable food donation.
Major, along with stylist, TJ Muniz, is teaming up with the Agape Centre, fighting back against poverty with scissors in hand. Shorteez will be providing Cornwall residents with financial hardships a real confidence booster.
"It's important for everyone," said Major. "I believe in reducing the load. Saving $20 is that much less you have to worry about."
The free haircuts are a gesture of goodwill he hopes the community will join in on. Major encourages other business owners and residents to offer the same kind of generosity from their pool of resources.
"I want to start a share network," he said.
Both stylists agreed that a haircut can really open doors for people.
"It gives people confidence," said Muniz.
Major is hoping only people who need the assistance will come and get chopped.
"I hope people who can afford to get a haircut won't come," he said. "It's for people who don't have the means like everyone else."
Shorteez Urban Hair Shop is located at 10 Fourth St. East.
Guidelines for Free Cut Tuesdays:
To get this free haircut, you must sign up on the sign-up sheet at the entrance of Shorteez, that will be available only from 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. Slots will be available during the day from 10:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m., however you must sign-in to get your free haircut. No drop-ins.
• Please respect your time, if you are 5 minutes late, you will lose your spot and no alternative will be given.
• Please show up. If you sign-up, and don’t come for your haircut, please do not come back.
• We will not be offering any rain checks and given that this is a mature establishment, haircuts will be offered only to adults. Sorry, no children under 14.
• Come at your designated time. If you come early, you will need to wait outside as we have no waiting room. Thank you.
• This offer is limited to one visit per month per person.
• Please wash your hair before coming. If it is not washed, we reserve the right to not cut your hair. We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone.
• This offer is for cuts only, no blow drying as time will not permit so bring a tuque/hat if it’s cold out.