Dozens of Cornwall residents were hearded onto a bus and wisked away from their neighbourhood after a natural gas leak was deteccted around noon Tuesday.
Cornwall firefighters were on the scene near Eleventh Street and Inverness Avenue after city crews working on the street ruptured a gas main.
The pungent smell of natural gas could be detected as far away as Ninth Street and beyond.
Residents in nearby homes, including a 12-unit apartment, were evacuated by firefighters as a precaution. A bus took them a safe distance away as firefighters searched the area.
The leak has been capped and the all-clear sounded.