Investigators have determined it was chlorine vapour that sent children to hospital, following an incident at Calypso Waterpark just outside Cornwall.
The Tuesday incident at Calypso was caused by chlorine vapours that were emitted briefly in a specific area of the wave pool following a repair to the filtration system. The Eastern Ontario Health Unit received and reviewed the technical report following the investigation conducted by Calypso Waterpark.
"We're confident that this was an isolated incident caused by a combination of atypical circumstances," said Dr. Paul Roumeliotis, medical officer of health. "The Eastern Ontario Health Unit is now working with Calypso Waterpark administration to ensure that policies and procedures are in place to prevent any similar incident in the future."
Roumeliotis added that the wave pool is currently operating safely, and there is no danger to the public. Samples taken after the incident continue to indicate safe levels of chlorine, and there have been no further reports of illness.
Thirteen children were transported to CHEO in Ottawa from Calypso Waterpark after symptoms of airway irritation, nausea and vomiting were reported.
The children were playing in the Calypso Palace wave pool at the time. Several hundred people were also in the wave pool. The children were later released from hospital.
The health unit arrived on the scene shortly after notification of the incident and has been working closely with the owners and operator of Calypso Waterpark to investigate the incident. As part of its public health mandate, the EOHU has been monitoring health, safety and water quality at Calypso Waterpark since its opening in 2010.
This is the first incident of this kind.