On the heals of the arrest of 12 people last week for smuggling contraband in and around Cornwall, police announced Tuesday another dozen who face similar charges.
During the past several weeks, the Cornwall Regional Task Force (CRTF) made or assisted in contraband seizures at the Cornwall port of entry or in South Glengarry.
Those caught face charges under the Excise Act 2001 and/or the Provincial Tobacco Tax Act for possession of a tobacco product not properly stamped.
Those charged include:
- Evita Stacey (age 28) from Akwesasne, NY
- Joseph Leaf (age 63) and Kandy PIERCE (age 19) both from Akwesasne, ON
- Conner Koula (age 18) and Jason CRAWFORD (age 19), both from Chateauguay, PQ
- Michael Morency (age 21) from Montreal, PQ
- Melanie Brisebois (age 26), Joseph Maheux (age 55), Jason Durnion (age 39) all from Cornwall, ON
- Sonny Lacombe (age 22) from Grenville, PQ
- Robert Bertrand (age 59) from St. Eustache, PQ
- Kevin Boucher-Laframboise (age 21) from Beloeil, PQ
Eight seizures which occurred in the South Glengarry Township resulted in no charges being laid. The contraband product was located along the shores of the St. Lawrence River at unoccupied residences.
Items seized include:
- 10 vehicles and one boat seized as conveyances.
- 10,900 re-sealable bags each containing 200 contraband cigarettes
- 500 cartons of DK branded contraband cigarettes
- approximately 343 kilograms of fine cut tobacco
- $1,000 CDN