Cornwall police enjoy a good scare just as much as the next law-enforcement service - just as long as it's in good fun.
The police service is putting out its annual list of dos and don'ts as Halloween is fast approaching.
Const. Melaine Labelle said the message is pretty simple: safety, safety, safety.
"The kids should stay in areas they know and are well lit," she said. "Stay wawy from parks and alleys."
And Labelle said streets are a dangerous place in the evening, so parents, children and motorists should keep their eyes peeled for potential accidents.
"The kids are often on the street - and really they should remain on the sidewalk or close to the side of the road," she said.
Other tips include:
- Wear make-up instead of a mask, so you can see properly.
- Go trick or treating with family or friends.
- Let people know your route.
- An adult should check the treats you collect, before you eat them.
- If someone invites you alone into a house say: “No thanks!”
More tips can be found at www.cornwallpolice.com.