A Cornwall firefighter's worst nightmare came to pass Monday night - fortunately a garage fire in the tightly-packed neighbourhoods of Cornwall's east end wasn't worse.
Firefighters have long feared that a major blaze - coupled with high winds - could cut a destructive swath through the neighbourhood.
A garage fire on Prine Arthur Street was, fortunately, brought under quick control Monday night while the remnants of Hurricane Sandy whipped winds to 50 km/h.
Cornwall fire Capt. Gerald McCormick told Seaway News the winds are what likely caused the fire to leap from the backyard garage to a couple of nearby homes.
"That's what pretty much fanned the flames," he said. "It would be extremely difficult to fight that fire."
The fire was sparked at around 11:30 p.m. Monday and firefighters had it under control within an hour of reaching the scene. The garage was completely destroyed, while the uppper portion of one home looked heavily damaged and the siding had melted away from another nearby dwelling.
No one was injured and McCormick said the investigation is continuing.