From left are Dr. Nat Shah, winner of the Dr. Garth Taylor Humanitarian of the Year Award, with presenter Beverly Taylor.
It was another star-studded spectacle at the Cornwall Civic Complex as the city's business elite gathered to celebrate the best and brightest Saturday night.
It's no coincidence that it's Oscar weekend, as the popular annual Cornwall and Area Chamber of Commerce Business Excellence Awards were presented to 10 nine individuals, while the citizen of the year honours went to former newspaper publisher Milton Ellis.
Ellis was moved to tears, and caught completely by surprise after receiving the award.
"I'm going to keep this short or I'm going to croak up here," he said to laughter. "It's the people of this community who should be up here tonight, not me."
Ellis' wasn't the only award winner at the gala, which is celebrating its 25th anniversary.
Dr. Nat Shah was presented with the Dr. Garth Taylor Humanitarian Award. Shah is well known for his work on behalf of those less fortunate and is founding director of Child Haven International.
The business excellence awards went to:
- Above and Beyon: Andre Pommier
- Team Cornwall Ambassador: Gilles Latour
- Entrepreneur of the year: Dave Petrynka, Eight Zero Zero
- Small business of the year: Cornwall Tire, Luc and Pierre Quesnel
- Business of the year: Medical Arts Pharmacy, Harry Haramis, Josee Lemay and Suzie Pilon
- Economic impact: Target, Dale Wicks, Diane Lauzon and Faith Van Riel
- Breakthrough: Cornwall Hospital Foundation To Your Health Campaign
- Lifetime business achievement: Joe Aiello