Venerable Cornwall truck stop to close all but the fuel centre

Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

The Fifth Wheel Cornwall.

CORNWALL, Ontario - A venerable Cornwall truck stop that has operated in the city for decades will close down all of its operations except for the fuelling centre.

Sources have indicated to Seaway News that The Fifth Wheel Truck Stop, on McConnell Avenue near the Highway 401 interchange, is partially closing.

Sources said late Sunday night the only part of the operation that will remain open is the fuelling centre.

The Fifth Wheel Cornwall also operates a restaurant and gift shop, among other amenities.

Social media has been active, with users posting about the changes.

Rob Short, franchisee of The Fifth Wheel's Cornwall operation, was reached by Seaway News. He was not in a position to comment right away.

Sources said there will be job losses as a result of the changes.

More to come.

Organizations: Seaway News The Fifth Wheel Truck Stop

Geographic location: Cornwall, Ontario, McConnell Avenue

• 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments

Recent comments

• JC Mosnar
    January 07, 2014 - 21:26

It's sad to see "The Wheel" close. I drove truck for 35 yrs and it was one of my favorite places to stop. But like pretty much all truck stops, it got too expensive to eat there. Hopefully one of the big t/s chains will take it over and modernize it. Best of luck to Rob Short and his staff in their future endeavours.

• Jeff m
    December 18, 2013 - 13:49

I just came from the 5th wheel in Dorchester . They had the same thing happen to them six months ago. They were just givin two weeks notice that their fuel station would be closing . This is their last week.

• Disappointed Reader
    December 13, 2013 - 09:08

I kind of figured this was going to happen. I caught wind of the new truck stop being build across from SCM a couple years ago while it was still in the works. When I seen that the wheel wasn't doing any renovations or making any attempt to put new life into their business, I knew they were giving up. Decisions like this affect more than just said business and their employees. The city should consider this and intervene when needed. They could have met with the 5th wheel and indicated that if they were not going to rebuild or renovate their exsisting building to bring it out of the 50's they would grant this new truck stop permission to build in Cornwall.

• Jon Zombie
    December 11, 2013 - 19:43

Sad day to see any long term service closing. Im sure it will be missed greatly. Its not till its gone that you realise what you had!

• john
    December 09, 2013 - 23:23

Shame to see it close - i can remember "back in the day" it was so busy (after the bars closed - around 2;00 am) - they hired an off-duty police officer to provide security. And that was just for the line-up to get a table!

• Tabitha
    December 09, 2013 - 20:14

Nooo :( I love that place, and so many memories of my grandmother who passed away last year. She worked their for years and was loved by everyone :( Would be so sad to see this close down, and only keep the fuel going :(

• Steve
    December 09, 2013 - 16:39

Now where are my friends and I going to go for food at 5 am after a night of drinking!? So sad, so many memories

• Amanda E.
    December 09, 2013 - 13:37

Sad to see it go. And for the job losses. I have good memories with friends and family going there. That's where my grandfather always got a haircut. And we would have lunch. And late night outings with friends ending in a hot meal at the Wheel. Very sad.

• Nick Parent
    December 09, 2013 - 06:16

Such a shame..It was and still is such a well kept truck stop..It was probably the first of the like home atmosphere truck stops that offered a variety of meals like home..I wish them luck and hopefully have a change of heart..