Cornwall Fire Department
CORNWALL, Ontario - A man living in a Louise Street apartment will have to find a new home after an overnight fire consumed much of the unit he was living in.
Cornwall firefighters responded to the apartment in the 100-block of Louisa Street at around 1:40 a.m. after receiving a call via 911.
Cornwall fire chief Richard MacCullough said the fire began in the kitchen while someone was cooking. He did not indicate what was being cooked or specifically how the fire began.
He said the Canadian Red Cross has been called in to help the resident of the apartment make other living arrangements for the time being.
MacCullough also indicated it's his belief the man was readying to move out of the apartment.
Two other units in the apartment suffered some smoke damage, but were otherwise untouched by the fire.
No one was hurt.