DR. STUART MUNRO: Well-known city dentist passes away

Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

Dr. Stuart Munro, in an undated family handout photo.

CORNWALL, Ontario - A well-known city dentist, who loved the water, has passed away.

Stuart Munro, who practised in the city for the better part of 40 years, passed away Thursday at his home. He was 75.

Condolences are pouring in for what family and friends are describing as a person committed to his patients, who also never missed a hockey game or outing involving his children.

"He was just the best dad," said Chris Munro, his daughter. "He juggled a career but still found time to take us skiing, or skating, or waterskiing."

Munro, one of the first graduates in the country of a University of Toronto program that allowed him to fully anesthetize patients, became so prolific with his work that even former city residents who lived outside the community would travel back to have work done.

But it was Munro's commitment to his family and the good times they had that stands out now.

"Stu was kind of a rare bird," said his brother Craig. "He got us all into waterskiing."

It could be said that aside from his beloved Toronto Maple Leafs, Munro's first love after family and career was waterskiing.

A waterski ramp that was once a fixture on the St. Lawrence River adjacent to Farlinger's Point came about thanks to Munro.

More than 30 years ago a waterskiing competition sponsored by the local Kiwanis Club had finished up and Munro wanted the ramp that was used for the event.

"He found out about this thing and they were wondering what to do with it," Craig said with a laugh. "He went up to see them and bought it for a dollar."

Chris said the family now cherishes several great memories of time spent on the water.

"Nothing new, nothing fancy," she said. "We’d be in the middle of the river with water coming up through the floor.

"But we had a great time."

Munro is predeceased by his parents Ewen and Helen Munro, and one brother Murray. He is survived by his wife Linda Clairmont, as well as a son, David Munro and another daughter Nancy Munro, as well as a sister Anne MacMillan and extended family.

Munro will be resting at the Munro and Morris Funeral Home in Maxville from 2 to 4 p.m. and 7 to 9 p.m. Jan. 8. Visitation will also take place Jan. 9 from 9:45 to 10:45 a.m. with a funeral to follow immediately after.

Geographic location: Ontario, New York City

• 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments

Recent comments

• Gisele
    January 04, 2014 - 12:50

Dentist Munro was my dentist he was a great man new how to make a very nervous patient to relax my condolenses to Linda is wife and the kids

• David Wood
    January 04, 2014 - 00:45

A kind and gentle soul that went out of his way to make life better for others. Stu will be missed by us all and we celebrate his life.

• Chris & Dana Fry
    January 03, 2014 - 22:02

Cornwall has lost an amazing person. I first met Stu as a customer of when I worked at Cornwall Lumber. At that time he was working on his gorgeous old home which he had reconstructed over the bridge, round the bend,and in the trees just west of Williamstown. He had a passion for history, antiques, and restoration and I learned much from his visits to the store. . Later he would not only be my dentist, but a friend and has remained so to this day. My wife and I speak of him often and along with so many others that he has touched with his warmness will miss him. My condolences to his family and close friends. May his memory bring you joy.

• Larry & Dawn Ann Faris
    January 03, 2014 - 17:50

We are so sorry to hear of the passing of a wonderful man who always took the time to share his life with his parents, his wife and his siblings. We extend our condolences to the family. Dawn Ann & Larry

• rebecca gallinger
    January 03, 2014 - 17:45

he will be mist a great lost to the city of cornwall he was my dentist for many years my sympathy to the family

• Brian and Donna Johnston
    January 03, 2014 - 17:05

Dear Chris, Nancy(fancypants) and Family. Donna and I want to wish everyone our heart felt thoughts and prayers. I met your father on a number of occasions. I recall as a young part time employee of Cornwall Lumber back in the 70's delivering lumber and such to the family home. I always enjoyed that delivery, which seemed to take place every weekend during the summer. I was impressed with your Dad's sense of humour, sense of family, and sense of community. Remember all the good times and know that we are thinking of everyone. during this sad time. Brian, Donna and Family.

• brenda wessely
    January 03, 2014 - 17:04

We remember Stu fondly from days long ago in Unionville. Stu did wonders for my teeth as well as handling difficult wisdom teeth removals for Nora, which, yes, we travelled to Cornwall to have done. He will be deeply missed.