Lit candle and loose dogs result in destroyed home

Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

Cornwall Fire Department

CORNWALL, Ontario - Cornwall fire chief Richard McCullough said if there's a power outage you should use a flashlight and not a candle, because it only adds to the risk of your home.

Case in point - a fire Tuesday night in Cornwall which caused $150,000 to one unit in a Cornwall duplex.

Mccullough said the fire was sparked when pet dogs accidentally knocked over a lit candle.

While no one was injured in the fire one of two dogs in the home, and a cat, were killed.

"I would personally like no one to use candles - use a flashlight if you have to," said McCullough. "But if you have to use candles, plese be aware of your surroundings....for things like pets and young children."

The blaze began in the living room of the duplex located near the corner of Louise and Prince Albert streets in Cornwall on Tuesday night at around 6:30 p.m.

Organizations: Prince Albert

Geographic location: CORNWALL, Ontario

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments