City will fly pride flag in Lamoureux Park to protest Russian laws

Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

Pride flag.

CORNWALL, Ontario – A rainbow pride flag will be hoisted at the clock tower in Lamoureux Park to protest laws in Russia which ban so-called “gay propaganda.”

Cities across Canada have made similar overtures as the Olympic games in Sochi, Russia have drawn a spotlight on the controversial laws that many critics suggest are racist.

The plan was met with complete solidarity at the city council table, with the exception of Coun. Glen Grant who voted against the move.

The flag will fly at the clock tower in full view of people in the park, as well as traffic on Water and Pitt streets.

Grant voted against the move because he feels the city is moving into an area that is outside its mandate.

"You could have an issue a week - a flag a week," he said. "It's an international issue."

It was pointed out to Grant that other municipalities in Canada are flying the flag too, like Montreal and Edmonton.

"Other cities can do what they feel," said Grant.

Geographic location: Lamoureux Park, Ontario, Russia Canada

• 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments

Recent comments

• Rev. Thomas J. Newton
    February 18, 2014 - 08:21

“I think this is an invitation to accepting an opportunity that is presented to us – to stand up and do the right thing,” said Coun. Elaine McDonald. What is the right thing? According to Elaine, Mayor Kilger, Prime Minister Harper? The list can go on and on - fill in the blank. And yes, I am not for according to the Pope, or even Pastor Tom Newton. But I am for "thus saith the Lord". The Word of God- the Bible needs no earthly person or institution to defend it, prop it up, or give it it's authority. The Word of God - The Bible stands on it own, as God's revealed, inspired, authoritative message to us, His creatures. So what does God have to say about marriage - Mat 19:4-6 " And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female, And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh? Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder". Obeying God's word brings glory to God. Obeying God's word brings blessings, order, joy and peace to one's own heart, life and family.

• John
      March 12, 2014 - 00:13

I've already got order, joy, and peace with a loving family, heart and life. So..I'll pass.

• Kevin Wilson
    February 12, 2014 - 18:24

Good on you, Cornwall! Shame on you, Glen Grant.

• Furtz
    February 12, 2014 - 12:14

I see Mr. Newton has found a new outlet where he can express his hateful bigotry.

• Rev. Thomas J. Newton
    February 12, 2014 - 08:02

John writes -"...on a group (or anyone for that matter) that can do NOTHING (however much you believe they can change) to change their sexuality". John were is the scientific proof for this statement - "...that can do NOTHING (however much you believe they can change) to change their sexuality". There is no up to date proof in society that such are made that way. All the studies say that such is a matter of choice -they choose their way of sexuality, just like a drag queen chooses to wear a woman's dress!

• John
      February 12, 2014 - 12:44

I sincerely hope you understand that it is because of people like you and your homophobic bigotry (that you hide through the use of religion) that innocent young children feel helpless and often commit suicide. DON'T YOU DARE tell me that children that are 10-16 years old have made a CHOICE that would make their lives so difficult that it would drive them to suicide. Also take 30 seconds and Google studies on being born gay. Don't tell me ALL the studies show that its a choice. That would be incorrect. You do a HORRENDOUS job at serving your GOD and he would be ashamed of you. See you in hell. XOXO

• John
      February 12, 2014 - 12:52

• Kevin Wilson
      February 12, 2014 - 18:28

BEING GAY IS NOT A CHOICE!!!!!!!!! Have you ever met a gay person? I am gay and was in AGONY for years because of hateful, ignorant bigots like you. I cried out to "God" to change me, I went to counselling, I tried everything I could because hateful bigots like you told me I needed to change. I almost killed myself on more than one occasion for this same reason. Would that have made you happy? One less queer in the world? Putting "Rev." in front of your name only makes you look even more ridiculous, because no doubt you stand in front of a congregation talking about how "loving" your god is. What a crock of horse manure.

• John
    February 12, 2014 - 00:40

At the end of the day, the flag is up to promote awareness of people being brutally attacked and murdered across the world, and theres nothing you are able to do to stop that flag from waving freely. Your self entitled bigotry makes you just as awful as the people doing the attacking and killing. Perhaps a little more intellectual awareness of real world problems would serve you well instead of concerning your time with what will happen to you when you're dead in a box and no one cares to remember you or your hate. And for the record, I used the word "SO" not "O". Don't make me sound like I'm begging. I really hate that.

• Rev. Thomas J. Newton
      February 12, 2014 - 08:22

• Rev. Tho
    February 11, 2014 - 15:33

Sodomy is not a race and equality issue, it is a chosen perverted life style of sin and the manifestation of God's righteous judgment: Rom 1:26-27 "Because of this, God gave them up to dishonorable passions, for even their females changed the natural use to that contrary to nature. And likewise, the males also forsaking the natural use of the female burned in their lust toward one another, males with males working out shamefulness, and receiving back within themselves the reward which was fitting for their error".

• John
      February 11, 2014 - 19:18

Opinions are opinions, and they can be respected. Perhaps certain people do not believe in your teachings or have other religions SO PLEASE do not force your political or religious views on a group (or anyone for that matter) that can do NOTHING (however much you believe they can change) to change their sexuality - and then get beaten to death none the less. They are no better than you, and you are no better than them. Your bigotry has 0 room in 2014.

• Rev. Thomas J. Newton
      February 11, 2014 - 21:09

John writes - "O PLEASE do not force your political or religious views on a group (or anyone for that matter) that can do NOTHING (however much you believe they can change) to change their sexuality"' - the tolerant being intolerant again

• Cynthia-Ray
    February 11, 2014 - 00:00

Are we to understand, this Grant person,has more to say on the issues of GLBT and pride, or is this just an incorrect statement taken the wrong way but the readers,

• Moe
    February 10, 2014 - 22:21

Must we hoist a flag up? It is Russia's choice not to have demonstrations during the games. If you are part of the Pride great for you. It is accepted in most areas and I don't have anything wrong with your sexual preference. I do have a problem of it being advertised all over and don't agree with the flag representing our city. What's next a Satanic Flag? That's a religious choice.... You enjoy a Male or Female partner great for you. Leave me out of your advertising, like so and so athlete came out WHO CARES!!!!!!!! Great for him or her now move along

• steve
      February 10, 2014 - 23:22

To what extent does hanging a peaceful symbol on top of a small building in town cause harm to yourself? "Leave me out of your advertising" Turn the other cheek then.

• John
      February 11, 2014 - 10:05

Moe, it's not about "advertising" anything. Flying the flag is not trying to 'recruit' anyone or promote any ideals associated with sexual preference. It is simply to promote awareness of a significant international issue in which innocent people of the LGBT community are being brutally beaten and killed for no reason other than their sexuality. What is it that makes one person "better" than another and gives them the right to beat or attack someone on the street. Absolutely nothing. This is about awareness, not advertising.

• Marie Willard
    February 10, 2014 - 21:32

Glen Grant has just lost my vote.