© Adam Brazeau
Police blocked access to the northbound portion of Boundary Road during a fire at Aevitas last week.
CORNWALL, Ontario - A facility in the city's industrial park that was the scene of a fire last week is still without power.
Aevitas, which incinerates PCBs and other hazardous materials, was damaged by a fire that was sparked when a light bulb exploded Feb. 24.
The water firefighters used to fight the blaze damaged the electrical infrastructure at the building and has still not been repaired.
"We continue to use our regular personnel for fire/perimeter watch, clean up and organizing activities," the company said in a press release sent out via city hall. "It is hoped that normal operations will resume within a few weeks, once regular power is restored."
Aevitas is licensed to process a variety of waste materials, but at this time this predominantly includes waste electrical equipment and clean up debris that contains PCBs, as well non-PCB industrial metal waste. The waste materials typically received include electrical light ballast, cables, transformers, capacitors, and clean up debris (tarps, gloves, pails, disposable suits, etc.).
The Cornwall operation is an established waste treatment facility that operates under a number of senior government regulations, while also meeting with a public liaison committee to review on-going monitoring and testing programs.
The company expressed its thanks for the work done by the different agencies following the fire.
"Most notably from the Cornwall Fire Department, Cornwall SD&G Emergency Medical Services, Cornwall Community Police Service and Cornwall Transit, as well as support from the Salvation Army and our neighbour Olymel," Aevitas said.