INGLESIDE, Ontario – South Stormont Fire Services responded to a fire in Ingleside at around 8 p.m. on Wednesday, July 10.
South Stormont Fire Chief Gilles Crepeau told Seaway News that three fire stations and 30 firefighters responded and had the fire under control within a few hours.
Unfortunately, he estimates around 80 cats perished in the fire. The home at 38 Santa Cruz Dr. in Ingleside also housed the Knot Furgotten Cat Rescue.
A GoFundMe page was started immediately to support the family of four that was displaced and to help the cat rescue rebuild.
“I am asking for donations for the fire recovery for their non-profit rescue,” the page reads. “Knot Furgotten Cat Rescue has done a lot for our community and they have touched a lot of lives. The fire last night took not only her home but many little lives. Her rescue is going to need to be rebuilt. Every little bit helps!”
Crepeau said on Thursday that he expected the investigation into the fire to be wrapped up soon, but that he suspects that the fire started in the kitchen and was cooking related.
Crepeau said that the house was insured, but was a total loss.