MILTON, Ontario – Local BMX Club riders battled at the Ontario BMX Provincial Championship Final in Milton on Aug. 31 and returned home with many personal accomplishments, including first place finishes.
“I’m really proud of how well all of our riders did this year,” said Cornwall Track Director and Coach TJ Shail in a press release. “If you consider that this is only our second season (as a club) it’s pretty incredible that we’ve got all these riders…who will be racing with championship plates next season.”
Athletes competed against riders of similar age and skill level at various races throughout Ontario this summer to try and earn points towards a top title or ranking at the end of the season.
“One of the unique aspects of this year’s series was that all of the tracks in Ontario came together to provide a cool way for the riders to show off their accomplishments and encourage them to participate at multiple events,” said Cornwall BMX Club President Dan Drouin. “The riders who made it to the main events at the various tracks got trophies that could be stacked on top of each other…some of our riders competed at all of the races in the series and ended up with a custom trophy over three feet tall! They’re pretty sweet…I wish I had one.”
The following is a summary of some local racers’ performances at the 2019 Ontario BMX Provincial Championship:
- Pièrre-Alexandre Nadeau: Provincial Champion #1 – 41-45 Intermediate Class
- TJ Shail: Provincial Champion #1 – 36-40 Intermediate Class
- Carter Jackson: Provincial Champion #2 – 14 Intermediate Class
- Sam “The Skunk” Drouin: Provincial Champion #3 – 13 Expert Class
- Luc-Olivier Nadeau: Provincial Champion #3 – 5 Intermediate Class
- “Stylin’” Rylan Adams: Provincial Champion #3 – 14 Novice Class
- Cohen Shail: Provincial Champion #3 – 13 Intermediate Class
- Charles-Émiles Nadeau: Provincial Champion #3 – 8 Intermediate Class
- Nathan Mang: Provincial Champion #3 – 36-40 Novice Class
- Jean-Thomas Nadeau: Provincial Rank #5 – 7 Intermediate Class
- Keegan Shail: Provincial Rank #5 – 10 Novice Class
- Charles Mang: Provincial Rank #7 – 12 Novice
- “Sweet Serpent” Sophie Drouin: Provincial Rank #9 – 7 Novice Class
“The Cornwall BMX Club is a non-profit corporation run by volunteers who are dedicated to providing children of all ages with an alternative sport which is exciting for the whole family and encourages physical fitness, competition and fairness. The Club operates a BMX Canada sanctioned racing track in Guindon Park,” read a statement in the press release.
With weather permitting, local BMX Racing continues at the Cornwall BMX Track in Guindon Park on Saturday afternoons until mid-October, with registration from 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. Spectators and first-time riders are welcome.
For more information about the Cornwall BMX Club, visit cornwallbmx.ca or CMBX Club on Facebook. To contact the club email email@example.com or phone 613-662-1790.