Apartment building occupants safe after dryer fire

Apartment building occupants safe after dryer fire
The culprit: a pair of Cornwall firefighters remove a burned dryer from an Anthony Street apartment building after a small blaze on Friday

By Adam Brazeau 
CORNWALL, Ontario – Thanks to his neighbours, a Cornwall man is safe after a fire started in his dryer Friday afternoon.

Jean-Francois Boulay, 33, was home at his Anthony Street apartment in the 100 block when a small blaze started in his laundry room.

“I didn’t know anything until someone knocked on the window,” said Boulay.

“I opened the door and threw water on it, but it didn’t shut off so I went upstairs and someone called the firemen.”

Platoon Chief Luc Richer spoke to Seaway News at the scene, as firefighters worked to clear smoke out of apartments with large fans and a crowd of over a dozen people watched on.

The fire department received the call at 4:02 p.m.

A total of four trucks and 10 firefighters were at the scene.

Richer said a smoke alarm was active in the apartment.

“Through the help of my neighbours I was able to know there was a fire,” said Boulay.

The extent of damage to the laundry room where the fire was contained was still undetermined at roughly 5:00 p.m. when firefighters closed the scene.

Share this article