“Careless smoking” sparks mattress blaze

“Careless smoking” sparks mattress blaze
Cornwall firefighters at the scene of a fire after it was extinguished in June 2014.

By Adam Brazeau 
CORNWALL, Ontario – A Prince Arthur Street resident was taken to hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation after his mattress caught fire on Thursday.

Emergency crews were alerted to the blaze at 24 Prince Arthur Street at 5:32 p.m.

Cornwall Fire Department Platoon Chief Pierre Baril said the incident was the result of careless smoking. 

The smoldering mattress and box spring, both marked with a large burn hole, were quickly doused in the driveway.

A dozen firefighters and four fire trucks were at the scene, in addition to the Cornwall Community Police Service and Cornwall-SD&G EMS.

No injuries were reported.

The incident wrapped up at 6:52 p.m.

Share this article