Fire at Akwesasne Arena

Provided by the Mohawk Council of Akwesasne
Fire at Akwesasne Arena
Mohawk Council of Akwesasne logo.

AKWESASNE – On the afternoon of Friday, Jan. 19, 2018 a fire was reported in a locker room of the Mohawk Council of Akwesasne (MCA)’s A’nowara’kowa Arena. The building was safely evacuated and the Hogansburg-Akwesasne Volunteer Fire Department quickly responded to contain the fire. It has been extinguished.

The Mohawk Council of Akwesasne wishes to thank the fire department , MCA’s Dept. of Technical Services staff, Akwesasne Mohawk Police and the Akwesasne Mohawk Ambulance for their assistance that helped to ensure no injuries occurred. Staff and firefighters were vital in ensuring the fire was quickly contained.

Fire and smoke damage to the facility is being assessed. All arena activities are cancelled until further notice. Arena staff will contact those affected as soon as more information is available.

The public’s cooperation in staying clear of the building until it can be reopened is appreciated.

Share this article