CORNWALL, Ontario – The City of Cornwall is celebrating Local Government Week with a series of special events on Saturday, Oct. 22.
Residents are invited to stop by City Hall, the main Fire Hall and the Justice Building courtyard from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and take part in the festivities.
Some of the free, family-friendly activities on tap include:
• A ‘Cool Engines and Flashing Lights’ display of vehicles and big machines such as a police cruiser, ambulance, snowplow, dump truck, and a Cornwall Transit bus.
• Tour City Hall and Council Chambers. Have a seat in the Mayor’s Chair and try on the Chain of Office!
• Tour the Fire Hall and check out some of the equipment and fire trucks!
• Appearances by the Town Crier and Sparky.
• A community barbecue by the Kinsmen Club of Cornwall.
Running from Oct. 16 to 22, Local Government Week is a province-wide initiative that aims to raise awareness of the important role local government plays in our communities.
“This is a great opportunity for residents to find out more about their municipal government and the important programs and services it provides,” said Mayor Leslie O’Shaughnessy.