The Raisin Region Conservation Authority (RRCA) is issuing a Flood Watch for the RRCA jurisdiction. A Flood Watch is issued when flooding of roads or dwellings has not yet occurred but is possible under forecast weather conditions.
Intense rainfall is forecast for the early hours of Thursday, March 24. Further rainfall is forecast for the early hours of Friday, March 25. In total, 15-35 mm of rainfall is forecast. Watershed conditions are already wet and water levels remain elevated following the recent snowmelt and rainfall.
Following the forecast rain event, water levels will increase and could exceed the highest water levels of the past week.
Across the RRCA jurisdiction:
- Worsened nuisance flooding of low-lying areas is expected.
In South Glengarry:
- High risk of flooding of the low point of Chapel Road, between the Beaudette River and Caber Road
- Risk of flooding of McGillivray Road near Boileau Lane
In North Glengarry:
- Properties in flood-prone areas downstream of Mill Pond will see water collecting and backing up over the next 48 hours.
- The water levels of Loch Garry, Middle Lake, and Mill Pond are being actively managed.
Residents in areas regularly affected by spring flooding should take precautions to protect their property, such as:
- Securing items that might float away as flows increase
- Removing items from sheds, garages, basements, or lower floors that could be subject to flooding
- Ensuring sump pump is clear, in good working condition, and has a backwater valve
- Ensuring easy access to a portable backup generator and pump
This statement is in effect until Monday, March 28, 2022, at 4:00 PM. This statement replaces the Flood Outlook Statement issued on March 21. The RRCA will continue monitoring water levels and weather forecasts as part of the Flood Forecasting and Warning program. Updates will be provided as conditions change.
For more information: Halya Petzold, Resource Specialist, (613) 938-3611 ext. 244, firstname.lastname@example.org
Media contact: Vincent Pilon, Public Information Coordinator, (613) 938-3611 ext. 229, email@example.com