CORNWALL, Ontario – The Cornwall Community Hospital (CCH) has recently welcomed 10 new doctors to their team.
“A great team to work with, affordable housing in the community and quick access to bigger centres, are all features that have helped Cornwall Hospital’s recent physician recruitment efforts,” reads a statement from the CCH.
To recruit more physicians, the CCH has been attending job fairs, posting vacancies in the Canadian Medial Health Association Journal and through reaching out to medical schools.
The Cornwall Community Hospital Foundation (CCHF) has also been doing its part to support the hospital through its Adopt a Medical Resident initiative. The initiative, which secured partial funding from the City of Cornwall in the spring, aims to bring two medical residents to Cornwall per year to work in the Emergency Room. The residents will be committed to work in the community for a further two years.
Thanks to these efforts, the CCH is able to report that all of its Emergency Room shifts are now covered. In May of this year, the CCH warned that it was experiencing doctor shortages for their Emergency Room.
The following is a list of the 10 doctors recently added to the CCH’s staff:
- Dr. Leslie Stephens, a general surgeon joins us from London Ontario, she has relocated to the area and is now part of the Cumberland Clinic.
- Dr. Reina Yao, an orthopaedic surgeon, joins the CCH after being in Vancouver and London Ontario.
- Dr. Katie Lepage, came to CCH during her residency training and is now back as a hospitalist.
- Dr. Dale Peffer, a hospitalist, is relocating from Saskatoon.
- Dr. Hooman Ghomeshi, an anaesthetist comes to the CCH from Strathroy, Ontario. Dr. Ghomeshi also works in the Emergency Department
- Dr. Sanjai Dayal, a psychiatrist from Prince Edward Island.
- Dr. Dr. Antonio DiCintio, hospitalist and family physician a new grad from Ottawa
- Dr. Maryam Yazdan is a new psychiatry graduate from Sherbrooke University
- Dr. MacArinze Ojiaku, is a new radiologist graduate from the University of Ottawa. He also did a fellowship in abdominal imaging and intervention at Harvard University in Boston
- Dr. Nima Mohammad-Shahi, an ophthalmologist currently in Boston will be joining the CCH in November