Charges pending in case involving carbon monoxide poisoning

Charges pending in case involving carbon monoxide poisoning

CORNWALL, Ontario – Quick action averted disaster at the scene of a carbon monoxide incident in Cornwall that sent two people to hospital and is now prompting warnings from firefighters.

Charges are now pending in the case.

“The situation could have been much worse if it wasn’t for the quick action of a concerned friend,” said Cornwall fire chief Pierre Voisine. “Residents should call us immediately at the onset of any carbon monoxide exposure symptoms. We have recently acquired state-of-the-art carbon monoxide metering equipment that can determine CO levels in individuals, allowing firefighters to make accurate on scene decisions.”

The Cornwall Fire Service is one of a few in Canada to use and operate this equipment.

“Landlords are responsible by law for installing, testing and maintaining carbon monoxide (CO) alarms according to manufacturer’s instructions in their rental units,” said Voisine. “We will hold them accountable to the fullest extent of the law when dealing with carbon monoxide requirements.

“The investigation into this matter is ongoing and it could result in charges.”

Carbon monoxide (CO) is known as the silent killer because it is an invisible, tasteless and odourless gas that can be deadly.  Exposure to CO can cause flu-like symptoms such as headaches, nausea and dizziness, as well as confusion, drowsiness, loss of consciousness and death.

If your CO alarm sounds and/or occupants are suffering from symptoms of CO poisoning, get everyone out of the dwelling unit immediately. Then call 9-1-1 or your local emergency services number from outside the building.

Share this article