TORONTO — The Ontario Hockey League confirmed Wednesday the league conducted an independent third-party investigation to probe allegations of parents paying for their sons to be selected in the 2022 OHL draft.
Branch says the league conducted the investigation last year.
Following a report by TSN’s Rick Westhead detailing the allegations, OHL commissioner David Branch said in a statement to The Canadian Press the investigation found no evidence of any team tampering with the draft.
TSN reported three Greater Toronto Hockey League coaches said they have seen text-message evidence of parents paying upwards of $30,000 to have their son drafted.
Branch called the allegations serious and invited people with evidence to provide it to the OHL for review before the league determines if further investigation is required.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published March 29, 2023.