Stephanie Grady loses cancer battle

Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

Stephanie Grady

CORNWALL, Ontario - A Cornwall area teacher that was the centre of a massive fundraising effort to help with experimental cancer treatments has lost her battle with the dreaded disease.

Stephanie Grady died Saturday. She was just 32.

Social media lit up on the weekend with expressions of sympathy.

Grady was a teacher at St. Lawrence High School and had three children with her husband Nick. She lived in Long Sault.

Grady suffered from NUT midline carcinoma, an aggressive cancer that had spread to her hips, pelvis, and spine.

Doctors had pronounced her condition incurable.

In order to provide the opportunity for Grady to participate in a clinical drug trial at a cancer institute in Boston, supporters had organized events ranging from online and silent auctions to athletic events and tournaments, as well as breakfasts, brunches and dinners.

Volunteers had spearheaded a fundraising campaign, dubbed 'We're NUT giving up' to help raise money for the treatments. The campaign raised more than $100,000 in just one month earlier this year.

“She is one of the most humble, kind and giving individuals I have ever met,” said Heather Lisney, a Brockville teacher that was co-ordinating fundraising work for the family, said back in February. “She is warm, nurturing and hard-working."

Visitation will be held at the Brownlee Funeral Home in Ingleside on Tuesday from 2 to 4 p.m. and 7 to 9 p.m.

Grady's funeral will take place Wednesday at 11 a.m. at Our Lady of Grace Church in Ingleside.

Geographic location: CORNWALL, Ontario

• 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments

Recent comments

• Rebecca Sinden
    May 13, 2014 - 20:35

She was truely one of the best teachers I'd ever had. She always knew how to bring a smile to my face when I needed it most. My deepest condolences for her husband and children. I love you Mrs.Grady

• Deborah Kerr
    May 13, 2014 - 00:16

The courageness and all the strongest support has all let her go knowing how very loved she was, in this way she is blessed...

• Deborah Kerr
    May 12, 2014 - 23:57

• Fiqa Rabia
    May 12, 2014 - 17:06

Mrs.Grady was my teacher, she was one of the nicest and kind hearted person out there. She was very inspiring and always brought a smile to her students faces. I will never forget her and will forever thank her for how she helped me become a better person. She always encouraged me to reach my goals and helped me plan for them. She helped me to become a confident person and got me involved in programs that would be beneficial to me. She has taught me to never give up, just like she never did. Mrs.Grady did not loose the battle! She never gave up and taught us all the same lesson of how a community can come together and most importantly never to give up no matter what the circumstances are. I will forever remember her and her words, and never forget her. As hard as this is we will all as a community help and support each other. I would once again like to thank Mrs.Grady my heart goes out to her family, thank you for everything, and Rest in peace

• Ian Summers
    May 12, 2014 - 11:43

Thoughts and Prayers for Nick and family. I knew Stephanie when she taught at RO School in Ingleside. Always had a friendly attitude toward custodial staff.

• Sandy Wood
    May 12, 2014 - 11:32

My heart goes out to her family. Know that I am praying for all of you at this difficult time. There really are no words.

• Beth Helmer
    May 12, 2014 - 07:27

God Bless you Nick and children. Take pride and comfort in having such a beautiful person in your lives, and never feel she has left you, only her body never her spirit.

• Donna Harding
    May 12, 2014 - 06:52

Deeply saddened by your loss, my thoughts and prayers are with the you all , God help you all get through the days , weeks and years ahead.

• Barbara Bell
    May 11, 2014 - 22:10

She was certainly to young to be hit with such a horrendous disease, my prayers are with her lovely family, may peace be with you , Sincerely,Barbara

• Lucie Prevost
    May 11, 2014 - 21:44

My sincerest condolences to Stephanie's family and friends, my thoughts and prayers are going your way. She was an inspiration to tons of people, we will not stop fighting, we will find a cure for this disease. From a Relay for Life Lifer. So sorry for your loss. God Bless you all