Gas leak at local childcare centre

Image of Shawna O'Neill
By Shawna O'Neill
Gas leak at local childcare centre
Heart of the Family daycare centre where the gas leak occurred (Nick Seebruch/Seaway News photo).

CORNWALL, Ontario – No one was injured on Monday, April 29 when a natural gas leak occurred at Heart of the Family childcare centre on 137 Eighth St. West.

“Luckily, by chance, the kids were already outside for recess at the time (the leak occurred),” said Deputy Fire Chief, Jeff Weber.

Weber believes that around 10:30 a.m. a mechanical failure of equipment occurred as a result of a gas valve being turned off by workers.

“We came and assisted with Union Gas when they arrived, made sure it (the gas) was off, monitored the building and made sure it was clear until the kids could go back inside,” said Weber.

All children were immediately relocated to a neighbouring church, Harvest Christian Fellowship.

Union Gas officials took over the incident. Union Gas media spokesperson Andrea Stass was unavailable for a comment at the time of publication.


Share this article