RRCA Helps Keep your Spring Building Projects Safe and Sustainable

Provided by the RRCA
RRCA Helps Keep your Spring Building Projects Safe and Sustainable
RRCA permits help protect properties from natural hazards such as flooding. (Photo : RRCA)

Are you planning a building project near water? The Raisin Region Conservation Authority (RRCA) is reminding property owners in its jurisdiction in Cornwall and the surrounding area of SDG that, under the Conservation Authorities Act, certain development activities within or adjacent to watercourses and significant wetlands are regulated by the RRCA and may require a permit.

“These Conservation Authorities Act regulations are in place to protect people and property,” says Lissa Deslandes, RRCA Regulations Officer. “Obtaining the proper permit through the RRCA for your project is an essential step to protect your investment from potential natural hazards like erosion, flooding, and ice heaves.”

Activities near watercourses which may require a permit from the RRCA include constructing buildings or structures, changing existing terrain grade, adding or removing material, and altering the existing channel of a watercourse.

“If you are planning a project on your property and are not sure if a permit from the RRCA is required, simply give us a call,” says Deslandes. “We have a straightforward and user-friendly permitting process that will help you move your project ahead with peace of mind.”

Under the Planning Act, the RRCA also supports its five member municipalities by reviewing development proposals and policy documents and providing guidance on natural hazards (e.g., flooding, erosion, and unstable slopes.) Last year, the RRCA processed a record 332 development applications.

As part of its review services, the RRCA is also the lead agency for the Cornwall Sediment Strategy (CSS) which protects several zones of mercury-contaminated sediment in the St. Lawrence River along the Cornwall waterfront. The RRCA includes a CSS review for property owners in Cornwall planning to install docks or other structures on or near their shoreline.

Current or prospective property owners may request information about a specific property through RRCA’s Property Inquiry Service, which provides important information on natural hazards and natural heritage (e.g., watercourses, wetlands, woodlands, etc.) for that property. Permit application and property inquiry forms, as well RRCA’s current fee schedule, can be found on RRCA’s website at rrca.on.ca.

For more information visit rrca.on.ca or contact (613) 938-3611 or info@rrca.on.ca.

Share this article